Saturday, January 28, 2006

On licensing

SimpleDBM is licensed under GPL V2 or later. I decided to use GPL because I believe in the values that the GNU movement stands for. It is a pity that so much FUD is generated regarding the GPL, and more pity that there is such a proliferation of OpenSource licences. If GPL was Business Unfriendly, then Linux would never have been successful.

When GPL V3 comes out finally, I will adopt it for SimpleDBM.

On a side note, I finally managed to get around to implementing a few things that were long on my TODO list:
  1. The Log Manager now automatically deletes older archive log files.
  2. There is a background thread for generating Checkpoints.
  3. Rollback to a Savepoint will discard PostCommitActions that were scheduled after the Savepoint was created. This means that if you create a Savepoint, drop a container, and then rollback to the Savepoint, the drop action will be discarded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
This is really an interesting blog!
Nice to see your progress while you share your ideas, thoughts, knowledge etc.
Expecially about dbms, mvcc b-tree's and so on.

And its couldn't be better to see that you will license SimpleDBM under GPL V3!! I couldn't agree more: "I decided to use GPL because I believe in the values that the GNU movement stands for"

Thanks :)