Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Lua 5.3 Bytecode Reference

Lua bytecodes are not officially documented as they are considered to be an implementation detail. The best attempt to document Lua bytecodes is the A No-Frills Introduction to Lua 5.1 VM Instructions by Kein-Hong Man. However this document is quite old now and does not reflect the changes made since Lua 5.2.

Some time ago I started an attempt to bring this document up-to-date for Lua 5.3. I recently managed to spend a few hours updating the new Lua 5.3 bytecode reference. This is still not complete but the most important bytecodes are covered.

I want to eventually produce a version that is like a specification, i.e., one that allows independent implementations to replicate the bytecode generation. My interest in this is due to my desire to create a new parser and code generator for Lua. 

No comments: